Saturday, June 13, 2009

Not bad . . . and I want a rematch.

4:05:49

We ran the real course, which was awesome. I started slow, kicked it into gear on the climb up Black Mountain, and then my calves started cramping on the summit. Which was not so awesome. I tried everything I could to turn things around -- Gato, water, banana, more water, more Gato -- I would have given my kingdom for a few salty pretzels.

I moved pretty well for the first seven-ish miles of the descent from Smuggler's Gap. For the last two-ish miles, though, I couldn't run more than a few steps before both calves seized and I crumpled into an expletive-spewing ball of frustration.

Objectively, I'm "happy" with my time, especially given the cramping troubles. But I'm still frustrated. My goal was to finish strong and to run across the line. I didn't do it.

I WANT A REMATCH.


Coming into Rotary Park. Cramping at bay, for now. . .



The last three miles of City Creek Canyon. Things went pear-shaped shortly hereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment